Kandelic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My collections of anything related to whatever faith it is that I follow, I'm not really sure.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Moon Phases
CURRENT MOON
Latest topics
» Links on Animism
Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 5:19 pm by Dormouse

» Chocolate Yule Log Recepies
Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 5:58 pm by Miki

» Welcome?
Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 3:38 pm by Dormouse

» Some of my Favorites
Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 12:47 pm by Aurora

» Pagan and Wiccan Youtubers
Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 2:46 pm by Dormouse

» Book of Shadows
Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:56 pm by Dormouse

» Video Posting Guide
Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:39 pm by Dormouse

» Four Beautiful Stories
Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 pm by Dormouse

» Farmers Almanac
Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 10:20 pm by Dormouse

Statistics
We have 30 registered users
The newest registered user is tamindia

Our users have posted a total of 46 messages in 25 subjects
Top posters
Dormouse
Corn Dolls! :) I_vote_lcapCorn Dolls! :) I_voting_barCorn Dolls! :) I_vote_rcap 
killerv1589
Reilly McDaniel
Jynjer
SilverWolfie
Aurora
Miki
mngypsy
Dragonfly
Clicker

Corn Dolls! :)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dormouse
Admin
Dormouse

Corn Dolls! :) Empty
PostSubject: Corn Dolls! :)   Corn Dolls! :) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Corn Dolls! :) Corndo10 "Corn dollies are a form of straw work made as part of harvest customs of Europe before mechanization.

Before Christianisation, in traditional pagan European culture it was believed that the spirit of the corn (in modern American English, "corn" would be "grain") lived amongst the crop, and that the harvest made it effectively homeless. James Frazer devotes chapters in The Golden Bough to "Corn-Mother and Corn-Maiden in Northern Europe" (chs. 45-48) and adduces European folkloric examples collected in great abundance by the folklorist Wilhelm Mannhardt. Among the customs attached to the last sheaf of the harvest were hollow shapes fashioned from the last sheaf of wheat or other cereal crops. The corn spirit would then spend the winter in this home until the "corn dolly" was ploughed into the first furrow of the new season. "Dolly" may be a corruption of "idol" or may have come directly from the Greek word eidolon, that which represents something else."

The below website has on set of directions on how to make one kind of Corn Dolly.
http://www.snowwowl.com/naartcornhuskdolls2.html
Back to top Go down
https://kandelic.board-directory.net

Corn Dolls! :)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kandelic :: Crafts, Activities, Recipes-
Jump to: